Monday, March 16, 2009

free hugs



FREE HUGS

First click the FREE HUGS link above to see an amazing video called FREE HUGS. Okay, so maybe I'm 2 years behind discovering this video (fair enough- evidently he was on Oprah in 2006) but the message is timeless. To learn more about FREE HUGS, visit- freehugscampaign.org

Hugs.  Studies show we can give and receive numerous benefits from hugging; increased self-esteem, a sense of security, help with depression, a sense of belonging- the list goes on and on. I started thinking about hugs this morning as I was giving Oliver what seemed like a Guiness Book of World Records qualifying hug. As I hugged him I was wondering what was going on in that little brain of his- why sometimes he goes for a 30 second hug, other times I get the "don't even think about giving me a hug" look and then there are mornings like today where it seems he would be happy if we never ever stopped hugging. When I was in nursing school, before I even had kids I remember running across an article about the importance of hugging your children. The woman who wrote the article (sorry, 15 years ago- no way do I remember who wrote that article) encouraged parents to embrace your children until your child breaks away from the hug. Her point (which is so true based on my experience) is that kids know "how much" they need that day. One day it may be a quick hug, another day they'll need just a bit more and there will be days where it seems the hug they're craving lasts forever.  After reading that article, I told myself I would hug my children like that and I do. It's is such an amazing gift to give. If you've never tried it, try it today. I can't wait for you to see and feel your children respond to this! Also, the benefits you receive as a mom from hugging this way rival the benefits you know you're giving your child. 

"There's nothing like a mama-hug"  -Adabella Radici


No comments: